Before you go
Go to websites:
- Immigration NZ Covid-19 page – Information for all travellers, student visa holders, migrant workers and employers.
- Information on managed isolation and quarantine – Information on all managed isolation facilities and protocols, including information on fees and exemptions.
- Government Covid response – The official New Zealand Government Covid-19 response website.
- SafeTravel guide for coming home – Advice for New Zealanders overseas.
- Border closures and exemptions – Advice on border closures and exemptions from the New Zealand Government and information on how to apply for an exemption for a non New Zealand spouse or child.
- Tania from House of Travel has reached out and is happy to support our Kea members who are returning home with advice on best available flight options, transit requirements and border travel restrictions as well as booking flights and providing support until you arrive home safely. Get in touch with her at [email protected]
- To plan or not to plan? How do we manage the move? – Tricia Alach explores what she considers to be the four main phases of planning involved when moving country.
- Moving your finances to New Zealand – Finance experts at BNZ give 10 tips you need to know if you’re thinking of moving your life back to New Zealand amidst COVID-19.
- Helping expat kids make the successful move to New Zealand – Mobile Relocation Experts three top tips for helping your kids manage the move to New Zealand.
- COVID-19: Advice for Kiwis overseas – SafeTravel provides helpful advice for New Zealanders living abroad who wish to return to New Zealand and tips on how to remain safe in your chosen home.
Once you’re here
- Getting a job back in NZ: The inside scoop from repat recruiters – Figuring out how to re-enter the NZ job market can be confusing, overwhelming and disheartening for many returners.
- Can you work it? Tips on navigating a return to working in NZ – Returning to New Zealand to work after building a career abroad can be challenging. We walk you through everything you need to consider when making the transition.
- Stranded in NZ? Mind the tax – Advice about things you should be aware of when it comes to tax if you’re moving back to NZ, From Rebecca Armour the National Leader, People Services for KPMG New Zealand.
- DLA Piper: Advice for Returning Kiwis – DLA Piper provides information on everything you need to consider from a legal perspective when coming home to New Zealand.
Kea member stories of coming home
- Anna Fifield on why she’s making the move home – We spoke to Anna Fifield, who’s currently based in Beijing as a journalist for The Washington Post, about her decision to come home to New Zealand.
- Kiwis coming home, Tania’s story – Kea’s global strategy director Tania Bearsley talks us through the whirlwind of coming back to NZ for a holiday just before COVID hit our shores and making the hard decision to stay.
- The flight home and arriving in New Zealand: what you can expect – New Zealander Simon Adlam speaks of his experience travelling from Los Angeles to landing in Auckland during lock down.
For businesses resources to help you start your business in New Zealand, or manage your global business from New Zealand, click here.
Facebook groups to join
Here is a list of relevant Facebook groups to help you connect with the Kiwi community migrating back to New Zealand.
- Kiwis moving back home
- Kiwis coming home
- Kiwis migrating home community
- New Zealand Hotel Quarantine