Just because you’re out of the country doesn’t mean you have to miss out on having your say in this year's general election. You can vote from overseas from Wednesday 6 September to Saturday 23 September (NZ time).
Who can vote from overseas?
You can vote from overseas if you’re enrolled and:
- are a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand within the last three years, or
- are a permanent resident of New Zealand who has been in New Zealand within the last 12 months.
How to get your voting papers from overseas
From Wednesday 6 September you can get your voting papers in one of the following ways:
- Download your voting papers from elections.org.nz
- Ask the Electoral Commission for postal voting papers
- Vote in person at an overseas post.
Voting closes at overseas posts at 4pm (local time) Friday 22 September, but may close earlier in some countries. Check out elections.org.nz for the location and opening times of your local post.
How to return your voting papers from overseas
You’ll be able to return your voting papers in one of the following ways:
- Upload a photograph or scanned image of your voting papers at elections.org.nz
- Fax your voting papers to the Electoral Commission (+64 4 494 2300)
- Post your voting papers to the Electoral Commission
- Post or hand deliver your voting papers to your nearest overseas post.
Don’t leave it to the last minute!
Voting papers must be received on time for them to be counted. There are strict deadlines for returning your voting papers from overseas.
Voting papers returned by upload or faxmust be receivedno later than 7pm, Saturday 23 September (NZ time).
Voting papers returned by post must be postmarked no later than Thursday, 21 September and received at the Electoral Commission no later than noon, Wednesday 27 September.
Voting papers returned to an overseas post must be received before the close of voting at that post, usually 4pm (local time) Friday 22 September (subject to local holidays). Please check with your nearest overseas post for their closing time.
For more information about voting from overseas visit elections.org.nz, call 0800 36 76 56 (from inside NZ), call +64 9 909 4182 (from overseas), or email email@example.com.