- VSA covers costs while you are on assignment, including travel, accommodation, living allowance and more
- Use your management skills to make a real difference
Papua New Guinea has one of the worst rates of family and sexual violence in the world. Unicef highlighted that “sixty-eight percent of women report experiencing family violence, and this figure rises to a staggering 90% in some remote communities.” Meri Seif Haus (Women’s refuge) is the first purpose-built women's refuge centre in East New Britain Province. The newly built house will provide a safe environment for women and children who are escaping sexual and domestic violence.
In this assignment you will assist the Filiae Maria Imakulata (FMI) Sisters with the running and management of the Meri Seif Haus. You will be responsible for developing and implementing effective and appropriate operational, financial and management systems and processes. As the ideal candidate you will have a strong background working with women and vulnerable families. You will also have excellent administrative, management and organisational skills.
VSA assignments provide a unique opportunity for professional development by sharing your skills to build thriving communities in the Pacific and beyond. Capacity building will be achieved through the training and upskilling of the FMI Sisters, developing training materials, running workshops in relation to family violence, and exchanging ideas and resources with other safe houses in Papua New Guinea.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Professional experience in family and sexual violence, social work, family therapy or a related field
- Extensive experience in a social service agency working with women and vulnerable families
- Sound understanding of the complexities, dynamics, and impact of family violence and abuse
- Excellent administrative, management and organisational skills
- Ability to train and mentor others