Volunteer Service Abroad covers costs while you are on assignment, including travel, accommodation, living allowance and more.
Use your marketing skills and experience to support the growth of the tourism industry in Solomon Islands.
Western Province has a growing tourism sector due to its natural beauty and wildlife. What is more, Solomon Airlines, Solomon Islands Ministry of Tourism, and the Western Provincial Government are looking at starting direct flights from Brisbane to Munda in 2018. As a result, investment opportunities related to tourism have been identified. The current Tourism Policy is to be reviewed in 2019 to capture some of these opportunities and advice will be needed on this.
As a successful candidate you will support the tourism division of the Provincial Government (which currently has two staff members) in the following areas:
- Marketing and promotion mechanisms, including work on a revised Tourism Policy to enhance a holistic marketing strategy that is being implemented.
- Developing promotional materials to support the marketing needs of the local tourism industry.
- Training and coaching tourism operators to increase their knowledge of operations and offer more activities for tourists.
- Supporting the training institute in Western Province to improve its delivery of tourism and hospitality courses.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Significant experience in business management and/or marketing in the tourism industry
- Experience in or knowledge of developing tourism products
- Experience training people in tourism and/or hospitality
- Experience developing and designing hardcopy and online promotional materials
- Experience developing and implementing marketing strategies, preferably in relation to tourism