- Dunedin based
- Lead a high performing team
- Support for relocation provided
Otago is a prosperous and vibrant region which relies on its abundant natural and physical resources; including farming, horticulture, viticulture and tourism, for its economic well-being. The Otago Regional Council (ORC) employs more than 170 people and exists to promote the sustainable development and enhancement of Otago's resources. With significant challenge and change ahead there is a focus on giving effect to the National Policy Statement on Freshwater Management, ensuring the planning framework is fit for purpose, along with an ever-heightening focus on sustainable environmental management.
Recent transformational change within the organisation is enabling a focus on how they work together and improve service to their communities. There are some big targets to reach, and now they need the right people, in the right roles, to help them get there. Reporting to the Manager Consents, this role will support and mentor a team of Consents Officers, providing consenting services to stakeholders across the Otago region. The focus of this role will be on:
· Supporting your team in the provision of advice to both internal and external customers;
· The development and maintenance of internal procedures;
· The interpretation of national standards, regulations and regional plans/codes;
· The continuous improvement of the consenting process.
You will be a team player and a ‘people person’ who is passionate about leading, developing and engaging people, as well as a technical expert who feels comfortable assisting with more complex technical matters. Partnering and collaboration will come naturally to you, as will operating with integrity and respect. The preferred candidate will bring:
· High energy levels with a passion for leadership
· Strong communication skills, with the ability to tailor your style and message to different groups
· An understanding of water quality issues and farming systems, as well as experience with hearings
· A relevant tertiary qualification is desirable or equivalent experience of professional technical ability and workflow management
· Knowledge in interpreting and working with the Resource Management Act (1991) and the Local Government Act.
Otago Regional Council are proud of the work they do and the environment they are committed to looking after. You’ll be inspired by the fact the work you do will have a direct impact on how the environment of Otago is left for future generations.
To apply in strict confidence now, click ‘Apply for this job’ or email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org 414212kea. Applications close on 1 December 2019. Emails will be electronically acknowledged and further correspondence may be by email.
To view a position description, please click here.
For more information please phone Louise Green on +64 3 353 4367.