Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we’re on a mission to prove that comfort, good design and sustainability don’t have to be mutually exclusive. We are dedicated to making the most sustainable footwear we can using premium natural materials, designed for life’s everyday adventures. Our commitment to making better shoes in a better way is fueled by a belief that the shoe industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. With funding from the leading venture capitalists in consumer products, and the founding CEOs of some of the greatest e-commerce businesses in recent history, our desire to shake up the footwear industry is off to a great start. In fact, TIME already called our first shoe, the Wool Runners, the most comfortable in the world, and there is much more to come.
Where we need help
As a direct-to-consumer product company with a loyal customer base, we need your help to make our omnichannel mobile, web, and retail experiences as delightful as our world-renowned shoes. Every touch point that our fans have with Allbirds must represent what we stand for: Better Things in a Better Way. We are looking for engineers that can help us build the magical moments that our customers have with the Allbirds brand through immersive, beautiful, and engaging mobile, web, and retail experiences. To power those experiences, we need engineers that can build world-class backend systems that can scale with our explosive growth.
What does the job entail?
- Make key technology decisions (ex. Buy vs Build vs Open Source) to build out our core technology platform
- Build foundational libraries, services, and capabilities that will power our web/mobile platform
- Create engaging web and mobile experiences that inspire our customers and the world that there is a better way
- Work closely with our data teams to ensure our technology systems work seamlessly end-to-end
- Work closely with our PM and design teams to define new features and capabilities
What kind of person are we looking for?
- You embrace challenges and do not compromise when engineering resilient, performant, and maintainable systems
- While you might prefer one area over another, you enjoy wearing multiple hats and working on all parts of the technology stack
- You strive for simplicity in code design and believe you should use the right tool for the job
- You believe your code is only as good as the tests you write for it and the monitoring that ensures it is running correctly
- You have extensive experience architecting and implementing enterprise scale systems
- You believe you can build anything in code
- You are curious, always tinkering with new technologies
- You enjoy pushing the boundaries of what technology can do
- You have strong opinions and can communicate them well. You also hear all sides of a debate and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it
More Practical Skills Needed
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Extensive experience building large scale systems
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing security patterns
- Experience working on AWS or equivalent
- Java/Scala (or equivalent) and Ruby (or equivalent) experience preferred
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- Health insurance
- Fitness benefits
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Paid parental leave
- Free shoes