ESPN is the world’s leading sports entertainment company. In Australia and New Zealand, ESPN operates the ESPN, ESPN2 and WatchESPN subscription television sports channels. ESPN’s digital network is Australia’s number one destination for online sport, comprising the sites ESPN.com, ESPNcricinfo, ESPNFC, ESPNfootytips, ESPNscrum and espnW. ESPN also operates the X Games and ESPN Films franchises.
The sports schedule across ESPN channels includes NFL (including the Super Bowl), NBA basketball, Major League Baseball, ATP tennis, FA Cup, RBS Six Nations Rugby Union, MLS, AMA Supercross, World Series of Poker, as well as NCAA American college football and basketball and Summer and Winter X Games. Additionally, ESPN delivers high quality studio shows, “game around the game” coverage with shows such as SportsCenter, ESPNFC, Pardon The Interruption (PTI), NBA Tonight, NFL Live and SportsNation to name a few, all shows featuring both ex-players and experts in the field.
As a Senior Presentation Scheduler you will be responsible for the overall presentation scheduling of the ESPN and ESPN2 networks through the daily scheduling of programme formats, commercial insertions and interstitials. Also responsible for management of one other presentation scheduler, updates to the electronic programme guide (EPG) and delivery of programme information to channel distribution partners (i.e. Foxtel, Fetch TV, etc.).
As a Senior Presentation Scheduler you will be responsible for:
- Plan and prepare daily transmission schedules for ESPN Channels consistent with the on-air strategy outlined by management.
- Work closely with the Programming Dept. and ESPN’s television ad sales agency to manage the creation of TX schedules and meet daily deadlines for schedule delivery.
- Work closely with the On-Air Promotions team and ESPN’s television ad sales agency to ensure advertising client commitments are met and to ensure that commercial air time is managed appropriately vis-à-vis promotional air time in the construction of the on-air presentation schedules.
- Ensure changes to the programming schedule are included in the transmission schedules. Note that live sports networks have a substantial number of programme changes.
- Check transmission schedules for accuracy and compliance with relevant Australian Broadcasting Authority and Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association standards before final download.
- Provide support in the maintenance and delivery of schedule and transmission information as required.
- Monitor competitive networks and share their programming and scheduling tactics with the team (to help inform counter programming initiatives).
EPG & Affiliate
- Be responsible for improving and updating the programme descriptions for ESPN’s electronic program guide on a daily basis.
- Be responsible for delivering program information and promotional assets to ESPN’s distribution partners as required (such as programme images for inclusion on partner VOD platforms).
- Be responsible for managing one other Presentation Scheduler
- Monitor daily ASRUN reports
- Operate as the IBMS system expert within the team to ensure the system is utilised effectively and train new and current team members on all procedures and systems
- Be on call to attend to any urgent broadcast issues that might arise during transmission, this may also include communication with the broadcast centre after normal office hours.
- Additional duties as needed and assigned by the Director, Television and Marketing.
To be successful in this role, you will ideally have:
- Minimum 5 years scheduling experience.
- Experience with IBMS (SinTec) scheduling software
- Knowledge and passion for sports, especially US sports, is strongly preferred
- Must have a flexible attitude and be willing to work additional hours to meet business requirements and accommodate international collaboration (primarily with colleagues in ESPN’s Connecticut, US headquarters).
This is unique opportunity to join the talented team that develops and delivers unparalleled entertainment across Australia and New Zealand so if this role captures your imagination then apply now!
Applications will be reviewed and Interviews may take place prior to closure date for applications. To give yourself the best chance of selection, please do not leave your application to the application ‘close’ date.
Please note that any successful offer of employment is subject to satisfactory results from background verification.