Senior Power Systems Engineer (Secondary Design)
* Specialist electrical and power role, designing and delivering secondary designs for transmission and distribution clients
* Career development opportunities, leading project teams for great technical outcomes
* Industry leading, collaborative team who value your technical and personal input
Design and deliver a variety of secondary designs on power related engineering projects throughout New Zealand and Australia, working with an industry leading and highly collaborative team. With a strong and varied pipeline of work, our team is growing creating the opportunity for an experienced Power Systems Engineer (Secondary Design) to join the business to develop your career. You will be delivering key projects for our clients with a business known for their track record across the industry to deliver challenging complex and varied projects. You will have the opportunity to also grow and shape the success of our Beca Power team within a team where your technical skills will be utilised in a team where your viewpoint is valued.
You will be working in a high performing and collaborative Power team, based in New Zealand – flexibility exists for the right applicant to be based in our Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch offices. With an enviable track record across the industry across challenging, complex and varied projects. You will also have scope to work on both New Zealand and Australia domiciled projects with the potential for site travel, subject to changes in the current Covid-19 related travel restrictions.
Key tasks include:
* Secondary electrical design of distribution, sub-transmission & transmission substations (up to 500 kV)
* Technical skills in the areas of Power System Engineering, schematics, mapping tables, cable schedules and protection
* Provide specialist conceptual and detailed design services for High Voltage system control, Protection and SCADA
* Lead teams of engineers to undertake larger packages of work, including training and mentoring junior staff
* Provide concept and detailed design and review of protection schemes from high level R&I diagrams, detailed schematics, through to protection settings
* Maintaining expected current design standards as set by legislative requirements
* Carrying out quality checks and procedures
* Draw upon your own technical expertise and those of the broader team to deliver high-quality technical advice to our client
* Contribute and drive delivery excellence across the Power team
Your technical skills are based on solid fundamentals and have been proven through the delivery of robust and innovative secondary power engineering designs. You will be an experienced problem-solving Power Systems Engineer with 8-12 years’ experience with a specific focus on Secondary design. You will be comfortable leading Secondary designs on major projects and mentoring junior engineers. You will also have varied Electrical Engineering skills which will allow you to contribute to the Power business in a broader sense.
You will enjoy working in dynamic and busy teams where you are known for your enthusiasm, energy, outcome focus and for your excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Previous experience of working in a team environment is a must for this role, along with the ability to manage and support multiple tasks.
Preferably, you will have proven capability across a range of the following areas:
* Understanding of a range of engineering disciplines and experience in in electricity transmission and distribution projects
* A good background in secondary & protection design
* Have a good understanding of HV Power design and regulations, policies and procedures
* Understanding of design and operation of modern protection relay technology and substation automation and its application through to commissioning
* Lead technical aspects of projects, implementation and integration for complex systems
* Be organised, adaptable and able to think outside the box
* Have good interpersonal skills and manage stakeholder relationships
* Strong communicator who can explain complex issues to a range of stakeholders (internal and external)
* Be results-oriented with good technical engineering basis in either transmission, distribution or rail traction power and managing project delivery
* Relevant tertiary qualifications in Electrical Engineering
The Power Business
Our Power teamwork throughout Australasia on high-voltage power transmission and distribution projects as well as infrastructure and industrial projects in Rail, Water and Airport markets.
To learn more about our Power business, refer to: https://www.beca.com/powerteam.
To apply for this role, please follow the online application process.
Beca is one of Asia Pacific's largest independent advisory, design and engineering consultancies. 2020 is a landmark year for Beca, representing both the dawn of a new decade and the beginning of our second century. Throughout this year, we will celebrate our innovators, our thinkers, our explorers and our entrepreneurs; past, present and future.
We are a team of 3,300-plus who brings a wide range of perspectives and expertise to every client and challenge, creating resourceful, smart solutions from our collective experience and insights.
While our experience has been 100 years in the making, it’s the fresh talent we’re nurturing, the innovative thinking we’re developing and the connections that we’re forging that gets us most excited for the future. Learn more at www.beca.com.