We seek an outstanding Senior Legal Counsel to join our expanding Legal team to help support our rapidly growing business. This person will be based at our Tokyo office.
As Senior Legal Counsel for Spotify you will partner with and provide legal guidance to our Content and Distribution teams. Our deals are cutting edge, revolutionary and always evolving so it will be up to you to continuously assess and advise the teams on legal issues using a creative and pragmatic approach.
What you’ll do:
- Review, draft and manage a wide range of commercial agreements, including but not limited to record label and music publishing licensing agreements, and business development deals
- Improve our standard form agreements and legal processes that help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach
- Work closely with our business teams to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively and help them synthesize legal frameworks in developing their business strategies.
- Advise our teams about relevant legal contexts, issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Provide support to other legal and business teams globally on an as-needed basis
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of ten (10) years experience working in a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- You have experience working with music licensing issues
- You have a strong track record of working with a wide range of commercial agreements
- You have experience partnering with global stakeholders
- You are qualified to practice law in Japan. An additional degree from foreign law school, e.g. LLM is a plus.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in Japanese and English