Our vision is to unlock the connection between humans and animals to create a better world. This means we convert intentions that humans have into cues that animals understand and actions from animals into insights that humans can understand. Whilst we are creating a complete platform that will enhance communication between people and a variety of animals we have decided to start with the world’s most populous large mammal - the cow.
We have spent over one million hours learning and classifying cow behaviour on our research farm to create a sophisticated cow movement and monitoring system. As far as we know, we already possess the world’s largest cow behaviour dataset. Our patented guidance control techniques shift cows remotely removing the need for fences and eliminating the manual nature of shifting animals. This all moves the dial towards the creation of a new generation of more efficient, sustainable farming globally.
We are backed by a set of sophisticated investors that have supported a stream of other leading technology companies including SpaceX, Tesla, AirBNB and Spotify. We are also incredibly fortunate to count Rocket Lab CEO, Peter Beck, as an investor and board member.
Learn more about Halter here
Production Engineer Role
You will be managing the production of devices by working closely with our contract manufacturers and our internal product design team to ensure quality and efficiency as we scale. Our GPS enabled, solar powered devices are designed to remotely guide cows. These require robust, long-range wireless communication and conservative power consumption. They also require multiple levels of control software in order to record everything about the animal, understand it and act on this information accordingly. We use this to monitor stock health, feed, behaviour and emotion so that farmers can better understand and treat the needs of each animal. We have a range of complex problems that are all unique, world-first and will make meaningful progress towards our ultimate vision.
- Develop and manage production of devices at our partner factories
- Building and refining process that is scalable to meet increased production capacity and deliver high volumes of product
- Manage all manufacturing relationships including factory, vendor and supplier. As the main point of contact you will be responsible for communicating and overseeing technical specifications, assembly, testing procedures, equipment and materials required
- Utilise engineering principles to solve challenging problems throughout the production lifecycle
- Continually improve production processes to achieve commercial objectives eg. high quality output, cost effective and delivered in specified time frame
- Manage material procurement by translating lead times and milestones to production needs
- Plan and run testing procedures to guarantee functionality and QC
- Create and manage robust timelines, logistics and production planning
- Maintain up to date detailed documentation of production process
- Foresee and mitigate production risks to ensure quality and delivery
- High level of collaboration with cross-functional product design team
- Other miscellaneous projects and tasks to ensure the highest quality of product output for our customers
Who are we looking for?
- Experience building and managing a robust manufacturing process for a new product
- Experience identifying risks, conceptualising solutions and communicating with product design team for rapid refinement
- Extensive experience in product testing
- Engineering degree in electronics, mechanical, mechatronics, engineering science or equivalent
- Ability to own tasks and creatively work to achieve tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
We are looking for big thinkers who know how to execute. We’re looking for people who are comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where they will be challenged on a daily basis. To succeed you will need to be able to learn quickly and utilise your own initiative while working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
You must be able to move to the beautiful pastures of Auckland, New Zealand where Halter HQ resides. This role requires international travel.