We have a range of exciting opportunities for talented policy professionals in teams that cover a wide range of central Government priorities.
Our roles would suit those with expertise in economics, systems thinking, public policy or public law and public policy processes. However, we are also interested in candidates from a broad range of backgrounds if you have been successful working in critical and complex policy areas, and you understand how to use your communication, influencing and analytical skills to get traction on complex policy problems.
Our positions provide you with an opportunity to:
- Develop the Treasury's advice on key policy issues that affect living standards for New Zealanders, drafting advice and Cabinet Papers.
- Grow your political nous in influencing and helping shape a number of policy agendas, including opportunities to engage directly with ministers and senior officials.
- Enhance your relationship management skills by working closely with other government agencies, a range of external stakeholders and across other Treasury teams to achieve successful policy outcomes.
- Bring your curiosity, and hone your intellectual leadership and analytical skills, as we provide significant scope to bring new ideas and analysis into policy discussions.
- Support your professional development goals through a continued focus on personal development, stretch opportunities, and a range of personalised training.
In addition to policy generalists we have opportunities for deep technical specialists with experience in:
- Macroeconomic or fiscal policy advice - as the government's lead economic advisor we have significant opportunity to influence and help shape the macroeconomic policy agenda.
- Forecasting, modelling & research - applying excellent quantitative skills to help shape policy and analytical work.
- Regulatory or legislative public policy experience - including institutional economics, governance and/or Parliamentary processes.
- Tax policy - advise Ministers on potential tax policy changes and the future direction of the tax system.
- Solid analytical, critical and strategic thinking with a talent for drawing together diverse perspectives and making linkages, including in areas where there may be a high level of ambiguity and complexity, to provide practical advice.
- Experience in developing public policy advice, including the ability to apply policy frameworks, analyse issues and options, and produce practical advice and recommendations.
- A demonstrated ability to convey complex information to diverse audiences, such as Ministers.
- Excellent relationship management and engagement skills with the proven ability to develop and manage professional relationships to support the development and delivery of policy solutions and advice.
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to communicate issues and concepts clearly, succinctly and with influence.
- A strong delivery focus and a demonstrated ability to achieve results by working in collaboration with others across organisations and in a cross-team environment.
- Intellectual curiosity, receptiveness to different viewpoints, and personal motivation to achieve and develop.
- Interesting & stimulating work across a diverse range of areas, with the opportunity to drive real change and improve living standards.
- A collaborative work environment where you will interact with a range of people and external stakeholders.
- A commitment to providing work and training opportunities that support your development and career aspirations.
- The opportunity to work in a diverse, supportive and high performing environment striving for collective impact.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our people and understand the importance of fostering a working environment where excellence is recognised and each individual is encouraged to develop their own talents and potential. The Treasury values diversity amongst its employees and encourages a positive work life balance with flexible work arrangements and a range of wellness initiatives.
We offer relocation assistance to international candidates and are open to discussing details which will take into consideration a candidate's personal circumstances and the position offered.
This opportunity presents you with a complete lifestyle change and career move that will add further breadth to your 'policy toolkit'.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org