Trade Me is one of New Zealand's busiest web platforms, with over 850,000 people (on average) visiting our sites and apps every day.
Opportunities like this are pretty rare. We're looking for our first Chief Product & Technology Officer to help make Trade Me a genuine leader in tech. This role brings together three key elements for us; product development, our technical platform and infrastructure, and capturing the opportunity that resides within the deep and far-reaching data that we hold.
This person will be part of our Executive team and there is a huge opportunity to make your mark, implement positive change and chart our technical vision and direction.
In this role you'll:
- Be leading product and technology at Trade Me, including leading all the people in our central product and tech teams, and providing a single point of leadership for all things technical.
- Engender speedy and accurate product delivery across the whole company and across the customer lifecycle, from idea through to release and operational support.
- Help build data as a competitive advantage for us, through smart use of all the information we have at hand, to craft a better offering for our customers and community.
- Organise and charter our technical vision and direction, including our infrastructure, data and application architecture, as well as oversight of our use of tech tools and methodologies.
- Deliver on key technology projects.
- Get the right people, platforms and processes in place to make us better innovators.
- Make sure that we're doing everything we should on mobile.
- Ensure we're up, fast and secure on all our platforms, including overarching responsibility for all aspects of cyber security.
- Lead change and improvements across your area of remit, including big changes derived from your long-term vision as well as constant day-to-day operational improvements.
- Represent Trade Me tech both internally and externally to grow our brand as a tech leader.
- Make things better. Help to improve our culture and Trade Me as a place to work. Act as a calming influence in times of drama, and an agitator for change when we're comfortable.
Our ideal person has:
- Strong leadership experience, as well as good experience running large teams, motivating and dealing with the full gamut of HR scenarios.
- Lots of great technology leadership, with reasonable breadth across the stack, from infrastructure, platform work and data, through to software development and likely a couple of special-power areas of deep expertise.
- A good strategist and creative thinker who is commercially astute and easily able to grasp and contribute to our wider business imperatives.
- A deep and intrinsic understanding of the internet and what works online - you'll be able to help get the most out of our core while pushing into new things.
- The ability to affect meaningful change across an organisation of several hundred people.
- A natural curiosity with a demonstrated inclination to try new things. Even better, you'll have an entrepreneurial element in your background.
- Energy and optimism. While you may not be a full-on extrovert, you'll have the ability to inject energy into your surroundings, and inspire those around you.
- A focus on solutions and good at balancing strong theory with practical application.
- Great communication skills and a team player able to gain the respect and trust of people of all different skill-sets and levels of seniority.
What we have to offer:
- This is an exciting, new position that offers the opportunity to make an impact while carving out your own space.
- At around 500 people we're small enough for you to meaningfully impact the whole business, but we're big enough and have the resources to do great things.
- We have a great base for you to build from and all of the raw ingredients to deliver something great.
- You'll work with a bunch of passionate and positive people striving to make things better.
- Free fruit and as much good coffee as you can possibly stomach in a work day.
Trade Me is a fun, vibrant and fast-moving place to work. We're looking for someone who'll thrive in this environment. We operate a dynamic and unique office culture, intended to reflect and empower our values and our "informal but serious" work ethic.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital or disability status.
We are also proud to have been recognised as a finalist in IBM Kenexa Best Workplaces Award for the last seven years running.
Check out what it's like to work at Trade Me in our video and drop us a line.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.