Our Law network brings together legal specialists around the world, and is continuing to grow at a rapid rate. Our Tax Controversy team have years of experience between them, delivering a focused and specialised Tax Controversy service in New Zealand. Involved in diverse and rewarding cases, they undertake complex tax technical work with a focus on contentious and potentially contentious tax matters through risk assessment, audits, tax disputes, settlement negotiations and litigation. Other work includes legal opinions, tax due diligence, document/ information flow management with regulators, transfer pricing disputes and multi-national audits.
Sound interesting? Well this is just the beginning. Because whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY Law experience lasts a lifetime.
About the opportunity:
The role is extremely varied, as an Associate you will be advising clients on a broad range of tax matters with a focus on the technical and tactical management for issues involving all types of tax, including transfer pricing and the application, or potential application of the anti-avoidance rules. You will also assist clients with transactional tax advice, tax risk assessments, tax planning and restructuring.
In your role as an Associate you’ll:
- Handle, assess and mitigate tax risk for EY Law’s clients.
- Manage tax disputes, and other contentious tax matters (including audits, disputes under Part IVA of the Tax Administration Act 1994, and litigation including challenges under Part VIIIA of the Tax Administration Act 1994).
- Assist Senior Associates and Partners in researching, analysis and providing high quality advice to EY Law’s clients.
- Assist clients in managing tax risk by seeking binding rulings, Commissioner’s official opinions and indicative views from Inland Revenue, making voluntary disclosures and using other tax risk mitigation techniques.
- Keep up to date with the latest tax developments and assist the Senior Associates and Partners of EY Law to develop thought leadership, identify relevant issues for our clients and deliver that information to them in a comprehensive and comprehensible manner.
- Work with both existing and new clients to help build a distinctive client experience and relationships.
We’re looking for people with the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Strong academic background, Bachelor of Law degree or equivalent qualification is essential.
- Strong New Zealand tax controversy knowledge, ideally with a legal background and working within the big four with some tax compliance experience.
- Demonstrated ability to assimilate complex tax concepts/jurisdictions into everyday business language.
- Proven client relationship management skills, with the ability to build and develop networks with both external and internal contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and technical writing skills.
- Ambitious and driven individuals who thrive in a fast paced environment.
Globally, EY Law comprises 1,800 lawyers across over 60 jurisdictions. We support clients in navigating a business environment that is increasingly global and complex. Our lawyers provide integrated, commercially-focused advice aimed at reducing legal and other risks. We don’t advise in a vacuum. Our people deliver legally sound solutions that also meet our clients’ strategic and commercial objectives.
Three things you probably don’t know about EY Law:
- We support flexible working conditions so that you can balance your work and life needs.
- We have an on-site gym and offer discounts around banking and health insurance.
- We offer up to $6,000 (subject to income tax) for employee referrals.
Create the career you want and apply today! Click on the following link to submit an application: http://bit.ly/2bHf5ED
© 2016 EY Law. All Rights Reserved.