Work with significant New Zealand commercial entities, build relationships with and influence chairs, boards and Ministers.
- Variety and flexibility, liaising with chairs and directors within a high-profile environment
- Working with New Zealand's biggest companies and entities across multiple sectors
- Collaborative, skilled and supportive team
The Treasury is the New Zealand Government's lead economic and financial advisor. Our vision is to be a world-leading Treasury working towards higher living standards for New Zealanders.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Advisor or Senior Advisor to join our Governance and Appointments team. The team is responsible for providing advice to Ministers who are responsible for making board appointments, and liaising with Chairs, directors, and candidates about board appointments and governance of more than 40 SOEs, Crown Companies and other entities. This is a really exciting role for someone with executive recruitment experience or history working in a similar governance or appointments-based role.
In this role you will either support or lead our advice to Ministers and our engagement with the Boards. This will be in relation to skills, board succession planning, performance and policy for best governance practice and diversity. In this role you will also work alongside the commercial performance team who monitor the performance of these entities to understand their strategic direction, performance and commercial issues. Our entities operate in a broad range of sectors and include SOEs such as MetService, Transpower and Landcorp, CRIs such as AgResearch and NIWA and organisations like Radio NZ and TVNZ.
To be considered for either role, you will bring:
- Strong relationship skills and credibility to engage with and influence senior decision makers
- A drive for results and the ability to manage multiple processes at once
- Experience in a recruitment environment (or similar), ideally working with senior individuals.
- A solid understanding of governance and the role of boards (preferable)
- Proficiency in report writing/providing written analysis, preferably in the public service context.
In order to understand the needs of entities, you'll need commercial acumen, including being able to understand the current and future strategic direction of entities, the industries they operate in, how they compare to their peers, and their risks and opportunities. A strong understanding of entities will allow you to advise on appointment of directors with the appropriate experience and skills to help drive greater commercial performance, and to advise on broader governance issues.
What we can offer:
- A commitment to providing work and training opportunities that support your development and career aspirations
- The opportunity to work in a supportive and high-performing team that is focused on individual and team development, constructive debate and collective impact
- A collaborative work environment where you will interact with a range of people, within the group, in the wider Treasury and with a large range of external stakeholders.
The Treasury values diversity among its employees and encourages a positive work life balance with flexible work arrangements so talk to us about flexible working.
Applications close 17 August. All applications must be made online.
Please see the attached Job Descriptions for further details on this position. For more information please contact Gaia Bythell, Governance & Appointments Team Assistant - Gaia.Bythell@treasury.govt.nz.