This role can be based in either the Rotorua or Wellington office.
Join us as an inspirational and pragmatic leader as the Deputy Director-General Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service, to work with the forestry sector to promote and protect Aotearoa’s precious forestry resources.
This influential position at the senior leadership table will lead the Government’s renewed focus on forestry, and support the ongoing development, growth and management of the forestry sector. You will be responsible for ensuring Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service provides strategic guidance and advice at a national level to optimise the use of our resources and to provide direct support to landowners, local government, and the wider sector.
As a critical business unit within MPI, Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service is focussed on growing trees and growing the economy. You will work closely with the forestry and wood processing sectors to harness the economic, environmental and employment benefits created now and into the future.
To be successful in this high profile role, you will offer:
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the forestry sector, and land use policy;
- Established and trusted relationships within the forestry sector;
- Proven political nous and a track record of leading engagement with Ministers and Iwi;
- Relevant senior leadership experience within the public service with proven capability and delivery and management of large scale programmes, budgets and teams;
- Experience in a ‘start up’ or in the development of large and complex operational structures;
- An in-depth understanding and experience of the machinery of government;
- Superior people leadership;
- Strong relationship management and communication skills.
This role will require frequent travel between Rotorua and our Wellington office.