Always wished that you really knew the haka? Would like to have a little kiwi connection, channel your inner kiwi and get deeper into kiwi culture? Join us for an authentic Haka workshop right here in Seattle/Bellevue. We will learn the history and cultural significance of the haka as well as learn how to do the Haka. Haka incorporates full-body movement, voice, facial expressions, self-expression, mind, breath, spirit, posture and action. It will connect you to your higher self and create unity with self and other. Haka activates your personal power and authentic self. Don’t miss this transformative and empowering workshop!
During the workshop you will learn and perform the haka, with the added bonus of
- Diving deeper into the New Zealand and Māori culture
- Learning the meaning, history and cultural significance of the haka – what? It is not something to kick off a rugby game?
- Engaging in exercises that focus on specific elements of the haka such as stance, wiri (shaking of hands) and pukana (facial expression) and experience the importance of breath work
- Accessing your authentic self by discovering your own self-expression and power through body movements, voice, posture and facial expressions
- Connecting to your personal power and discover your own inner-warrior
- Creating unity with others through shared learning, movements and vocal expressions
- Eating delicious Alison Holst Chocolate, Banana, Blueberry muffins
About the Instructor: Based in LA, Amelia Butler is an indigenous Māori performer, dancer and choreographer from New Zealand. She has been teaching and performing dance at an international level for over 20 years. Amelia moved to Los Angeles in 2008 to pursue a career in dance and has worked as a professional dancer in the LA entertainment industry. She founded and leads Los Angeles based traditional Māori performance group, Ngā Ānahera Māori and teaches the Māori language via video chat through her company, Learn Māori Abroad. Amelia’s tribal affiliations are Ngatiwai, Ngapuhi and Ngatiawa. She is proud to share her culture here in the US.
…. By wait, what is the Haka? The Haka is the traditional war dance of the Māori, the indigenous people of New Zealand. It was made (more) famous by the All Blacks rugby team. Now is your chance to learn this well-known, enlivening and invigorating dance and experience the power of this cultural phenomenon.