We have an opportunity for a Senior Design Engineer to join our head office based engineering team, Mt Wellington Auckland. This position is a pivotal role within our design team and will require a depth and breadth of technical expertise. The role will involve the development of advanced engineering concepts, techniques, and standards as they relate to civil, rail, marine and tunnel construction. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to join our creative construction team. If you enjoy working in an innovative environment with highly skilled engineers, who continually push the boundaries and think outside the square, then this is the perfect role for you!
About the Role:
- Operate as a technical specialist, providing engineering design and expertise for McConnell Dowell’s construction teams throughout all phases of our business
- Formulating and developing advanced engineering concepts, techniques, and standards as they relate to civil, marine and tunnel construction
- Problem analysis, solution development and design
- Review and verify temporary works designs undertaken by other engineers
- Assist estimating staff in the preparation of tenders, advising on plant and resource requirements, productivity, and programme
- Develop concept designs for permanent works where these may offer a competitive advantage or improve constructability
- Identify safety and environmental hazards that may arise during the construction operations
- Develop work methodologies and temporary support to reduce such safety and environmental hazards
- Assist project staff in the construction and inspection of temporary works, the commissioning of specialist equipment, and the execution of critical activities
- Relevant tertiary qualification and CPEng (or equivalent)
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience, successfully delivering projects on time, within engineering standards and meeting contractual requirements
- Experience in permanent and temporary works, structural design, including steel, concrete and timber, together with a good understanding of civil and geotechnical
- Competent in the use of MSOffice suite and structural analysis design software
- Demonstrated ability to work with and mentor multi-disciplinary teams
- Effective communicator, comfortable presenting and producing high-quality documentation
- Highly motivated and self-managing with a passion for innovation and accuracy in execution
- Proficiency in New Zealand and international codes and standards
- Demonstrated ability to produce pragmatic, technically sound design solutions informed by robust risk assessment and safety in design
McConnell Dowell is a leading engineering and construction company operating across New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, and we have been responsible for constructing some of the largest and most challenging civil projects in these areas. Our expertise includes the construction of bridges, roads, tunnels, mining infrastructure and ocean outfalls. Our creative approach is what makes us stand out from the crowd, we rate ourselves on our ability to innovate and our clients place a high value on it. It also means we work on more challenging projects that not only require a creative engineering approach, but also creative support staff. We value Safety and Care, Honesty and Integrity, Customer Focus, Working Together and Performance Excellence. We hire the best and brightest in our field. It is something we are proud of, we strive to be the industry leaders, and it shows in our work.
To Apply: Please note all successful applicants will be required to pass a satisfactory pre-employment drug, medical, and police check.
McConnell Dowell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, who actively embraces a culture and workplace that is diverse and reflective of the communities and geographic environs we serve.