Welcome Home Kiwi Explorers: Tips and Resources
Kea is passionate about supporting our global community of Kiwi explorers. As we found in our Welcome Home Survey 2020, an astounding number of New Zealanders are looking to move home to Aotearoa. To help in this transition, we’ve put together a list of useful guides and resources to help offshore Kiwi plan their journey home, including relevant government assistance, helpful articles and relatable stories of those who have made the transition before.
Before you go
Go to websites:
- Immigration NZ Covid-19 page – Information for all travellers, student visa holders, migrant workers and employers.
- Pre-departure Covid-19 testing – The Government is extending pre-departure testing to the majority of travellers to New Zealand.
- Information on managed isolation and quarantine – Information on all managed isolation facilities and protocols, including information on fees and exemptions.
- Allocation and booking managed isolation – Where to book your managed isolation place.
- Government Covid response – The official New Zealand Government Covid-19 response website.
- SafeTravel guide for coming home – Advice for New Zealanders overseas.
- Border closures and exemptions – Advice on border closures and exemptions from the New Zealand Government and information on how to apply for an exemption for a non New Zealand spouse or child.
- Moving home to Aotearoa? Here’s what you need to know – Kea and BNZ hosted a webinar which touched on topics such as getting a head-start on your financials, the different visa pathways, and what to expect in your first few months in Aotearoa.
- Finding a home – BNZ have collated a list of everything that you need to think about when looking to take that first step in buying a house.
- Applying for a mortgage – once you’ve found the home you want, BNZ have listed everything you should consider when applying for a mortgage in New Zealand.
- Immigration advice on moving non-NZ family to Aotearoa – explore the different visa options and what to be aware of when moving non-NZ family home to New Zealand with you.
- To plan or not to plan? How do we manage the move? – Tricia Alach explores what she considers to be the four main phases of planning involved when moving country.
- Moving your finances to New Zealand – Finance experts at BNZ give 10 tips you need to know if you’re thinking of moving your life back to New Zealand amidst COVID-19.
- New Zealand mortgage rate predictions for 2021 – Kea Independent Economist Tony Alexander shares his insights on New Zealand mortgage rates, and how banks and everyday Kiwis are responding to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Helping expat kids make the successful move to New Zealand – Mobile Relocation Experts three top tips for helping your kids manage the move to New Zealand.
- COVID-19: Advice for Kiwis overseas – SafeTravel provides helpful advice for New Zealanders living abroad who wish to return to New Zealand and tips on how to remain safe in your chosen home.
- 336 Hours in MIQ – A Mum’s story of her Kiwi expat family’s experience spending two weeks in COVID-19 quarantine when returning to New Zealand. The highs, the lows and the learnings.
- Preparing your kids for the move back to New Zealand – Tips on helping your children adapt to New Zealand.
Once you’re here
- Tips on job hunting in NZ for Kiwi returners – How to reenter the NZ job market, with insights into changes that have happened as a result of Covid-19.
- Managing the feeling of survivor guilt once you’re home – many Kiwi who have returned home have reported feeling survivor’s guilt. Bridget Romanes of Mobile Relocation talks about four ways you can manage this.
- Can you work it? Tips on navigating a return to working in NZ – Returning to New Zealand to work after building a career abroad can be challenging. We walk you through everything you need to consider when making the transition.
- Stranded in NZ? Mind the tax – Advice about things you should be aware of when it comes to tax if you’re moving back to NZ, From Rebecca Armour the National Leader, People Services for KPMG New Zealand.
- DLA Piper: Advice for Returning Kiwis – DLA Piper provides information on everything you need to consider from a legal perspective when coming home to New Zealand.
Kea member stories of coming home
- Simon Adlam on reintegration, gratitude, and moving forward – Returned Kiwi Simon Adlam discusses the feelings of survivors guilt when coming home, and his future plans.
- Sarah Smith on coming home and the fight against inequality – After living in the US for over 20 years, we spoke to Sarah Smith about her decision to return home more than a decade earlier than planned.
- Peter Bale returns home with a vision for New Zealand media – Media executive Peter Bale has returned home to New Zealand after a career that has spanned the globe.
- Lucy von Sturmer on her move from Amsterdam to Aotearoa – After years building her consultancy The Humblebrag in Amsterdam, Kea spoke to Lucy von Sturmer about her decision to move herself, and her business, back to Aotearoa.
- Anna Fifield on why she’s making the move home – We spoke to Anna Fifield, who was based in Beijing as a journalist for The Washington Post, about her decision to come home to New Zealand.
- Kiwis coming home, Tania’s story – Tania Bearsley talks us through the whirlwind of coming back to NZ for a holiday just before COVID hit our shores and making the hard decision to stay.
For businesses resources to help you start your business in New Zealand, or manage your global business from New Zealand, click here.
Facebook groups to join
Here is a list of relevant Facebook groups to help you connect with the Kiwi community migrating back to New Zealand.
- Kiwis moving back home
- Kiwis coming home
- Kiwis migrating home community
- New Zealand Hotel Quarantine
Join the Kea community, NZ’s online home for returning Kiwis.
We’re here to support returning Kiwis. Here’s our list of resources to help you plan your return and next steps.
Looking for a new role in New Zealand? Visit the Kea job portal and find your next career opportunity.